Western Union is an easy and comfortable means to receive money from anyone including friends, family, and employers. Money transferred through Western Union can be sent directly to your bank account within 2-5 days, or transferred to a mobile wallet within a few minutes.
It is also possible to receive funds in cash at any Western Union branch location, mostly within less than a day of the transfer. All that is required is to give the sender your complete details, choose the delivery method that is most convenient and suitable for you, and inquire for a tracking number immediately the funds have been transferred.
WAYS TO RECEIVE MONEY THROUGH WESTERN UNION
There are three major ways to receive money through western union and in this article, you will be given a step-by-step breakdown of how to do this with ease.
HAVE THE MONEY SENT TO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT
- Supply the sender your bank account information.
The sender will need the details of your bank account including name of the account, as well as your account number and routing number, to transfer money directly to your bank. You should only give out the details of your account if you are receiving money from someone you know and trust or from an identified, legal and well-known company. You should be able to get your account details- account number and routing number- either by placing a call to your bank or by logging into your account on your bank’s online portal.
- Ensure the sender has your full name as listed on your bank account
For example, if the name registered in your bank account is John H. Smith and the sender fills “Billy Smith” on the transfer form, you may have a hard time receiving the transfer. Double check and ensure that the sender has used your full, correct name registered with the bank.
- Supply your International Bank Account Number if you are receiving overseas.
If you are receiving cash from someone in another country, you will need to give them your International Bank Account Number and/or your International Bank Identifier Code. Call your bank or check your banks online portal to find these numbers.
- Wait 2-5 days for the cash to transfer.
Most of the times, money transferred directly to your bank account should transfer successfully within 2-5 days. The sender should also obtain a receipt that says when the money will be available.
- Check your account balance to know if the money has transferred.
Log in to your account online, call your bank, or visit your branch in person to see if the transfer has been successfully done. It should be done by no more than 5 days after it was sent, or by the date listed on your sender’s receipt.
- Utilize the Money Transfer Control Number to track the transfer.
Your sender should be able to find a special Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN) on their receipt. You can utilize this number to track the transfer using the Western Union online portal or app.
COLLECT THE MONEY AT A WESTERN UNION LOCATION
- Supply the sender your full name and address.
You will have to provide the sender with the name and address on your government-issued ID card in order to be able to pick up money at Western Union. Ensure you give them the address on your ID even if it’s not your current address.
- Obtain the sender’s details
You will have to provide this information when you go to pick up your money at the western union location. Ask for the name and address that the sender will use for the transfer.
- Ask the sender for the Money Transfer Control Number on their receipt.
Immediately the sender has transferred the funds, ask them to provide you with the tracking number, or Money Transfer Control Number, as shown on their receipt. This will enable you to track the transfer and discover when the funds are available for you to pick-up. The sender’s receipt should also contain the date that the funds are expected to become available for pickup. Also, it can be a good idea to track the transfer anyway to ascertain that it is available before you go to pick it up.
- Visit the nearest Western Union location.
You can get funds at any Western Union branch location. Find out which branch is nearest to you using Western Union’s online location tool: https://locations.westernunion.com/
- Present a government-issued ID card
The name and address on your ID card should match what the sender provided when filling out the transfer details. The ID should be current and not expired.
- Supply the sender’s name, address and the tracking number
You also need to know the amount you will be receiving. In some countries, it is also important to answer a security question, which your sender would have discussed with you before transferring the cash.
RECEIVING THE MONEY USING A MOBILE WALLET
- Create a mobile wallet on your phone
Some smart phones come with mobile wallets already installed in it. Check to see if you have a mobile wallet app on your phone, otherwise, download one from your service provider. Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Android Pay are common mobile wallet apps you can easily use to get the money.
Input your credit or debit card information.
- Once the mobile wallet is installed, it should prompt you to supply your credit or debit card details. Utilize the card that you want to receive money on or would like to send money from in the nearest future.
- Give the sender your phone number. Unlike with in-person pick-up or direct bank deposits, the sender only requires your phone number to transfer funds to your mobile wallet. Be sure to supply the country code if you are getting cash from someone overseas.
- Utilize the tracking number to see when your funds transfer.
Money sent to a mobile wallet will most times only take a few minutes to transfer, but it may take longer due to various factors including the amount sent, the destination country, and availability of currency at receiver’s location.
With the above information, you should be able to have money sent and receive money through Western Union.
You can find more information as regards Western Union Nigeria on their local online site: https://www.westernunion.ng/